Friday, September 11, 2015

Beginnings

This week I had the privilege to lead my cohort in prayer, the first official student led teffilot of the year (you've gotta love alphabetical order).  In light of the initial nature of the service, the start of the school term, and the quickly approaching Rosh HaShana, my cantor partner and I themed the service after beginnings.  What follows is a consolidated copy of my comments:

Before we begin
We are in a season of beginnings; with new classes, the onset of our professional journeys, and the beginning of the religious calendar upon us, we begin again.  New beginnings can be a challenge or a relief.  Some experiences can be unsettling at first during a period of acclimation.  Take a moment to take stock: will you use your own beginning as a fresh start? Is there an ending that made this beginning possible? What do you carry with you and what do you leave behind?

For me when I open a new book, wafting the smell of crisp new pages, or I settle back as the opening movie credits begin to roll, or I meet someone new for the first time, I feel a sense of mystery and excitement.  There is anticipation for what may be found down the road: a promise of what is to come.  Even though I am eager to know what lies ahead, I like to pause during moments like this. Beginnings, while sweet, are also fleeting.  So often, we dive into new experiences without hesitation, eager to encounter something novel, but then we may find ourselves caught up, lost even, or lacking closure from where we were before.  Beginnings are a liminal state; if we stop and reflect I think we may enjoy the new experience all the more.

Thus, as I begin a new year, I look back.  The previous year was characterized by change as I concluded my jobs working with Friedman Place, Temple Sholom, and Avodah in Chicago, I moved away from communities that supported me, and I entered a new community on the other side of the planet.  My family has expanded with new births and weddings recently.  My loved ones have engaged with new opportunities, and experienced a plethora of beginnings of their own.  In leading services for the first time here today, I look forward.  This symbolically and literally leads me into a new chapter of my life. I am unsure if what I do is sufficient nor do I know where my actions and decisions lead me, but I do know that I am here now.  For Plato, "The beginning is the most important part of the work." In actively reflecting and planning for the year and years ahead, the work is the most important part of the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment